Channel 1 Los Angeles
DETROIT 9/29/2020 LSN Sports
The Rocket Mortgage Classic launched Changing the Course earlier this year with a mission to bridge the digital divide for all Detroit residents through equitable, data-driven investments in access to technology, internet and digital literacy. Detroit is the least connected major city in the country, and in light of COVID-19, it is clear now more than ever that access to online learning, employment, health and connectivity is a critical component of a resilient, vibrant community. Changing the Course is a multi-year initiative that is committed to holistic, sustainable access to internet, technology and digital resources for every Detroiter within a ten-minute walk of their home.
Charitable proceeds raised from the 2020 Rocket Mortgage Classic totaled $2,716,770. Last year, the event donated $1.2 million to its primary beneficiaries, with more than $1.1 million directed to nonprofits based in the city of Detroit.
Donations were made by the Rocket Giving Fund to the following organizations in support of its Changing the Course initiative:
- $2.1 million to the Connect 313 Fund, developed by the Rocket Mortgage Classic in partnership with the City of Detroit and the United Way for Southeastern Michigan with engagement from community, philanthropic and business stakeholders. The Connect 313 Fund is rooted in the City’s digital inclusion strategy and is a coordinating mechanism for all digital inclusion stakeholders driving collectively toward the singular vision of bridging the digital divide. In addition to coordinating a city-wide, data-driven digital inclusion strategy, the Connect 313 Fund will make investments into Detroit-based nonprofit partners to increase access to technology, internet and digital literacy resources.
- $344,450 to Children’s Foundation, which supports pediatric research, education, community benefit programs and other initiatives that improve the health of children in Michigan. Children’s Foundation is also fiduciary for First Tee Greater Detroit, which impacts the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through the game of golf. This partnership will provide the youth-centric nonprofits the resources they need to bridge the digital divide within their programming, including the following allocations from this investment:
- $165,000 to Midnight Golf, which helps under-served young people transition from high school to college and into a professional career.
- $100,000 to Detroit Police Athletic League (Detroit PAL), a Rocket Mortgage partner that builds character in young people through athletic, academic, and leadership development programs.
“This year’s Rocket Mortgage Classic is a testament to the boldness and ingenuity of the entire team, who understood the unique opportunity we had to use this event to bridge the digital divide in Detroit,” said Jay Farner, Chairman of the Rocket Giving Fund and CEO of Rocket Companies (NYSE: RKT). “We are committed to Changing the Course and working tirelessly to deploy resources and foster greater equity and digital access for Detroit residents and families.”
The Rocket Giving Fund also made the following disbursements:
- $150,000 to the Greater Palmer Park Community, a collection of seven neighborhoods around Palmer Park and the Detroit Golf Club dedicated to the holistic improvement and advancement of the entire area
- $122,320 to the Birdies for Charity program, which supported 74 verified nonprofit organizations and allowed them to use the Rocket Mortgage Classic as a free vehicle to raise awareness of their organizations and funds to support their missions.
“Like all other PGA TOUR events, our overriding mission is for the Rocket Mortgage Classic to serve as a vehicle to support the nonprofits that do such amazing work in our community, and it has been amazing to see so many people come together this year in particular to get behind such a great cause,” said Jason Langwell, Executive Director of the Rocket Mortgage Classic. “We will continue to work every day toward Changing the Course and addressing this great need right here in Detroit.”