Close Menu
channel1la.comchannel1la.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Mexico News
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Stock Market
  • Entertainment
    • Arts & Music
Top Post

Tupac Murder Trial Week 1 Recap: Heated Testimony & Police Tape

August 22, 2026

Trump, his clout on the line, stumps for Graham in South Carolina

August 22, 2026

Giorgia Meloni says ‘I thought it would be easier with Trump’ New York Times reports

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Bluesky Facebook YouTube
  • Home
  • News
  • Mexico News
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Stock Market
  • Entertainment
    • Arts & Music
channel1la.comchannel1la.com
Home»Entertainment»FIFA Ditches Controversial Private Investment Plan
Entertainment

FIFA Ditches Controversial Private Investment Plan

channel1la.comBy channel1la.comAugust 1, 2026No Comments
Twitter Bluesky Facebook
FIFA Ditches Controversial Private Investment Plan
Courtesy of Getty
Share
Twitter Bluesky Facebook

Gianni Infantino, the embattled president of soccer’s governing body FIFA, has abandoned his controversial plan to create a $20 billion company that would control the commercial rights to its events, principally the World Cup.

In a statement released late Friday, Infantino said it had “become clear that the project has created divisions of a nature that, regardless of the level of support, are no longer in the interest of the objective set out in the first place.”

The survival of Infantino, who is up for re-election for a fourth term as president at the FIFA Congress in March, is now in doubt.

Infantino said, “Our purpose has always been – and will always be – to unite and improve. Moving forward, my intent is to bring all interested parties back together in the coming days and weeks in the spirit of shared interest in our game.”

The climbdown by Infantino follows a threat by European countries, represented by the continent’s soccer governing body UEFA, to boycott all FIFA events, including the World Cup, if the plan moved forward.

Opposition to Infantino’s plan had also come from Concacaf, which governs soccer in North, Central America and the Caribbean, and the sport’s governing body in Asia, the Asian Football Confederation.

Resistance to the plan had also come from within FIFA. Carlos Cordeiro, Infantino’s senior adviser on global strategy and governance, resigned over the issue, saying the proposal was “a bad deal” for soccer and would “mortgage” its future.

Then on Friday, the organization’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour said its own administration had been “deceived” about the project. Lamour described the plan as “the project of one person,” and said, “the time has now come for [soccer’s] political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”

Lamour added that had a duty of loyalty to “certain values” and supporting his colleagues. “If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

controversial Ditches FIFA investment Plan Private
Share. Facebook Twitter Bluesky
channel1la.com
  • Website

Related Posts

Tupac Murder Trial Week 1 Recap: Heated Testimony & Police Tape

August 22, 2026

Blackpink’s Jennie to Release New EP Next Friday

August 22, 2026

Quality Control Co-Founder Pierre ‘P’ Thomas Suffers Heart Attack

August 21, 2026

The Weeknd wraps five-night sold-out run at Wembley Stadium and raises more than $350k for charity

August 21, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Tupac Murder Trial Week 1 Recap: Heated Testimony & Police Tape

August 22, 2026

Trump, his clout on the line, stumps for Graham in South Carolina

August 22, 2026

Giorgia Meloni says ‘I thought it would be easier with Trump’ New York Times reports

August 22, 2026

Blackpink’s Jennie to Release New EP Next Friday

August 22, 2026
Trending

La Sonora Propaganda acaba de estrenar el video musical de su nuevo sencillo “Libro abierto”, un proyecto liderado por Aldo Acuña

By channel1la.com

Garden Grove Chemical Tank Could Be Inching Toward Explosion, Authorities Say

By channel1la.com

Tens of thousands rally in Serbia for antigovernment demonstrations | Protests News

By channel1la.com
X (Twitter) Instagram Bluesky Facebook YouTube
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
channel1la All Rights Reserved 2026

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.