July 6, 2018 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada
The Government of Canada is committed to broadening Canada’s trade ties, creating global opportunities for Canadian businesses and bringing more job-creating investment into Canada. Attracting new investors to Canada contributes to economic growth, good middle-class jobs and higher living standards.
On July 8, 2018, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of International Trade, will participate in the Sixth Annual Stampede Investment Forum in Calgary, Alberta. During his visit, the Minister will engage with international business leaders to promote awareness of Canada as an investment destination of choice and highlight the services of the new Invest in Canada agency.
Minister Champagne will meet with Suhail Mohamed Faraj Al Mazrouei, Minister of Energy and Industry of the United Arab Emirates, during the forum to highlight Canada as an investment destination. The Minister will also discuss opportunities in the energy sector with international and Canadian producers and investors.
Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Trade, will join Minister Champagne at the forum. She will address the Alberta South Chapter of Equal Voice—a national, multi-partisan organization dedicated to electing more women to all levels of political office in Canada—as well as participate in the Egg Farmers of Canada Summer Conference.
“Canada’s brand has never been stronger, and I’m looking forward to meeting with global companies at the Stampede Investment Forum to talk about the clear competitive advantages Canada offers for international investors.”– François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of International Trade
“In recognizing the reality that women and small and medium-sized businesses are integral to trade and economic growth, Canada’s progressive trade and investment agenda looks to ensure all segments of society benefit from international business opportunities. I’m eager to have the opportunity to exchange ideas with and hear from investors, entrepreneurs and producers while in Calgary.”- Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Trade
- On March 12, 2018, the Government of Canada established Invest in Canada, a new federal agency, to promote Canada as a top investment destination to the rest of the world and attract large job-creating investment.
- Invest in Canada will work with global companies to attract foreign direct investment in sectors aligned with the government’s economic growth strategy, in particular, in advanced manufacturing, agri-food, clean technology, digital technology, health sciences and bio-sciences, and clean resources.
- Canada is a world leader in oil and gas production while maintaining the highest standards of environmental and social responsibility.
- First initiated by Global Affairs Canada and launched in partnership with the Government of Alberta and Calgary Economic Development in 2013, the Stampede Investment Forum has grown to become an annual event taking place on the margins of the Calgary Stampede.
- Canada is committed to advancing a progressive trade agenda that reflects the interests of all Canadians, especially women, Indigenous people and youth.