Close Menu
channel1la.comchannel1la.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Mexico News
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Stock Market
  • Entertainment
    • Arts & Music
Top Post

Chris Hansen Was Not Asked To “Sign Away” Rights At ‘Primetime’ Screening

August 21, 2026

President Donald Trump appears on podcast of Michael Cohen

August 21, 2026

Should you buy a Medicare Advantage plan from Costco? What you’ll want to know.

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Bluesky Facebook YouTube
  • Home
  • News
  • Mexico News
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Stock Market
  • Entertainment
    • Arts & Music
channel1la.comchannel1la.com
Home»News»Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News
News

Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

channel1la.comBy channel1la.comAugust 21, 2026No Comments
Twitter Bluesky Facebook
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News
A woman gestures as she enters the West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts ahead of the verdict in the national security trial of two pro-democracy Tiananmen activists, in Hong Kong on August 21, 2026 [AFP]
Share
Twitter Bluesky Facebook

Activist group says the ‘twisted’ Hong Kong judicial system had long ago decided that the pair were guilty.

Published On 21 Aug 202621 Aug 2026

A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city.

Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were found guilty of “incitement to subversion” for their role in organising candlelit vigils to mark Beijing’s deadly 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, in a Hong Kong court on Friday. The two had pleaded not guilty and were charged in 2021.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

The pair could face up to 10 years in jail. Sentencing is expected at a later date.

Prosecutors argued that the pair “endanger[ed] national security in the name of human rights”.

Chow, a human rights barrister who represented herself, told the court in May that the law itself was on trial.

Friday’s verdict was “no surprise”, said Mark Clifford, president of the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation.

Hong Kong’s “twisted” judicial system had already decided the pair were guilty in 2021, he said. He described Lee and Chow as “true Chinese patriots” who were silenced because they “spoke truth to power” and “held up a mirror to the Chinese Communist Party”.

Pro-democracy activists Lee Cheuk-yan, left, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, centre right, at a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre. [File: REUTERS/Tyrone Siu]
Pro-democracy activists, from left, Lee Cheuk-yan, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, attend a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre [File: Tyrone Siu/Reuters]

Hong Kong’s crackdown

For three decades, the candlelight vigil organised by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen crackdown, drawing tens of thousands of people annually to mourn the victims in China. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive antigovernment protests.

The alliance’s leaders have been behind bars since they were charged.

Chow and Lee “exposed the Chinese government’s fears of the memory of its own atrocities”, Elaine Pearson, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said, urging governments around the world to hold Beijing to account for erasing Hong Kong’s freedoms.

Earlier this year, Jimmy Lai, 78, a media mogul and high-profile rights campaigner in Hong Kong, was found guilty on national security charges and sentenced to 20 years behind bars.

Led ‘like a dog on a lead’

In a personal blog published in the days leading up to the verdict, Chow detailed her treatment by correctional services, in which she described being led “like a dog on a lead”, shackled at the wrists, waist and ankles.

She described a new method of restraint, with specialised handcuffs, as the source of significant pain during her long detention: “One can only ‘choose’ which part of the body shall suffer in turn” due to the bodily contortions forced by the restraints she has been held in.

Chow is one of the few high-profile political prisoners detained in Hong Kong to continue to speak out publicly against the authorities.

In June 1989, China’s government sent tanks and soldiers to crush a pro-democracy movement that had installed itself in Beijing’s central Tiananmen Square. Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were killed by soldiers, and many were injured. Beijing has since sought to censor mention of the incident in China.

Activists charges Guilty Hong Kong national News Protests security Tiananmen
Share. Facebook Twitter Bluesky
channel1la.com
  • Website

Related Posts

US debt tops $40 trillion months earlier than expected — RT Business News

August 21, 2026

First U.S. Deportees to Arrive in Liberia Amid Growing Backlash

August 20, 2026

Video. Latest news bulletin | August 20th, 2026 – Evening

August 20, 2026

Assad officer extradited to Syria on war crimes charges for first time

August 20, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Chris Hansen Was Not Asked To “Sign Away” Rights At ‘Primetime’ Screening

August 21, 2026

President Donald Trump appears on podcast of Michael Cohen

August 21, 2026

Should you buy a Medicare Advantage plan from Costco? What you’ll want to know.

August 21, 2026

Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges | Hong Kong Protests News

August 21, 2026
Trending

La Sonora Propaganda acaba de estrenar el video musical de su nuevo sencillo “Libro abierto”, un proyecto liderado por Aldo Acuña

By channel1la.com

Garden Grove Chemical Tank Could Be Inching Toward Explosion, Authorities Say

By channel1la.com

Tens of thousands rally in Serbia for antigovernment demonstrations | Protests News

By channel1la.com
X (Twitter) Instagram Bluesky Facebook YouTube
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
channel1la All Rights Reserved 2026

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.