Close Menu
channel1la.comchannel1la.com
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Stock Market
  • Entertainment
    • Arts & Music
Top Post

Uber weighs higher bid for Delivery Hero, FT reports

May 24, 2026

Video. Thousands rally in Madrid demanding Spanish PM Pedro Sánchez resign

May 24, 2026

Drake’s ‘ICEMAN,’ ‘HABIBTI,’ ‘MAID OF HONOUR’ Debut at Nos. 1, 2 & 3

May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
X (Twitter) Instagram Bluesky
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Stock Market
  • Entertainment
    • Arts & Music
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
channel1la.comchannel1la.com
Home»News»Gunman in Shooting Near White House Killed in Exchange of Fire With Secret Service
News

Gunman in Shooting Near White House Killed in Exchange of Fire With Secret Service

channel1la.comBy channel1la.comMay 24, 2026No Comments
Twitter LinkedIn Bluesky
Gunman in Shooting Near White House Killed in Exchange of Fire With Secret Service
Gunfire broke out near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, at the northwestern corner of the White House grounds.Credit...Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images
Share
Twitter LinkedIn Bluesky

A man who was already known to the U.S. Secret Service approached the White House complex on Saturday evening, took a gun out of a bag and opened fire before being shot and fatally wounded by Secret Service police officers.

A bystander was also struck by gunfire, the Secret Service said in a statement, though it did not give details on the nature or severity of the injuries. It was unclear who fired the shot that struck the bystander.

The gunman, who was identified by two officials with knowledge of the investigation as Nasire Best, 21, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead. No officers were injured, the Secret Service said.

In a social media post early Sunday, President Trump thanked the Secret Service and law enforcement officers involved in the shooting, and described the gunman as having “a violent history” and a “possible obsession” with the White House.

The shooting took place a little after 6 p.m. near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, at the northwestern corner of the White House grounds.

Mr. Trump, who was in the building at the time, had made it known on Friday that he would be spending the long holiday weekend at the White House.

In his social media post, Mr. Trump also appeared to renew his push for a proposed ballroom and security expansion at the White House, saying the episode underscored the need for “the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington.”

Within the last month, two people have been arrested after opening fire in the vicinity of top U.S. officials.

On April 25, a man from California who was armed with a shotgun, handgun and several knives charged past a security checkpoint at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, where Mr. Trump was due to speak, before being subdued by Secret Service agents.

On May 4, a man from Texas was wounded during an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service officers near the Washington Monument, accused of making vulgar statements about the White House afterward, as he was being taken to a hospital in an ambulance.

Mr. Best had been arrested last July for walking into a restricted area on the White House grounds, ignoring signs and commands to stop. At that time, according to an affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court, Mr. Best had already been known to Secret Service personnel “for walking around the White House complex inquiring how to gain access at various entry posts.”

He had briefly been involuntarily held that June for blocking a vehicle entry on the east side of the White House, the affidavit said. At the time of that arrest, on a misdemeanor charge of unlawful entry, he had no pending warrants. He told officers at the scene that “he was Jesus Christ and that he wanted to get arrested.”

Court records show that a judge issued a “stay away order” the day of his arrest, apparently barring him from the area around the White House. After he did not show up for a hearing in August, a bench warrant was issued.

On Saturday evening, the flurry of gunfire prompted a brief White House lockdown, and rattled the reporters who were gathered on the North Lawn.

Selina Wang, a senior White House correspondent for ABC News, posted a video on social media of her recording a report when what sounds like gunfire can be heard in the background.

She was about three seconds into the recording when the noises are heard, and she dropped to the floor for cover.

“I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video from the White House North Lawn when we heard the shots,” she wrote on X. “It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.”

Allison Robbert, a photographer for The New York Times, said that about 20 to 30 gunshots were heard from the north lawn of the White House.

“Journalists heard it from outside the press room and were ushered inside by Secret Service,” she said in a text message.

Christopher Mele, Mark Walker and Adam Sella contributed reporting.

Exchange Fire Gunman House killed Secret Service Shooting White
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
channel1la.com
  • Website

Related Posts

Video. Thousands rally in Madrid demanding Spanish PM Pedro Sánchez resign

May 24, 2026

Shooter killed near the White House was previously arrested for trespassing

May 24, 2026

Iran’s leader and security council ‘still need to approve’ peace deal with US | US-Israel war on Iran

May 24, 2026

Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears | News

May 24, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Uber weighs higher bid for Delivery Hero, FT reports

May 24, 2026

Video. Thousands rally in Madrid demanding Spanish PM Pedro Sánchez resign

May 24, 2026

Drake’s ‘ICEMAN,’ ‘HABIBTI,’ ‘MAID OF HONOUR’ Debut at Nos. 1, 2 & 3

May 24, 2026

Beartooth Singer Caleb Shomo Comes Out as ‘Proudly Gay Man’

May 24, 2026
Trending

Garden Grove Chemical Tank Could Be Inching Toward Explosion, Authorities Say

By channel1la.com

Tens of thousands rally in Serbia for antigovernment demonstrations | Protests News

By channel1la.com

Zelensky dismisses ‘associate’ EU membership as ‘unfair’ – Reuters — RT Russia & Former Soviet Union

By channel1la.com
X (Twitter) Instagram Bluesky
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
channel1la All Rights Reserved 2026

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.