Channel 1 Los Angeles
9/18/2021 Washington D.C.
President Biden convened the U.S.-led Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate to urge fellow leaders of major economies to commit to faster climate action in this critical decade, with just 44 days left to the UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow. The President was joined by Leaders from Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh, the European Commission, the European Council, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, and the United Kingdom as well as the UN Secretary-General. Leaders underscored the collective urgency of taking action to meet the global climate crisis. President Biden also announced, with the EU, a Global Methane Pledge that aims to cut global methane pollution by at least 30 percent from 2020 levels by 2030 through collective action. President Biden asked Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry to chair a ministerial session immediately following with China, Germany, India, and Russia.
This meeting built on the April Leaders Summit on Climate, where President Biden convened this group of countries at the leader level for the first time in more than a decade and put forward a strong new 2030 climate target. A Chair’s Summary will be released later today.
- President Alberto Fernandez, Argentine Republic
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Commonwealth of Australia
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- President Ursula von der Leyen, European Commission
- President Charles Michel, European Council
- President Joko Widodo, Republic of Indonesia
- Prime Minister Mario Draghi, Italian Republic
- Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, Japan
- President Moon Jae-in, Republic of Korea
- President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, United Mexican States
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Secretary-General António Guterres, United Nations
- Special Envoy of the President and China Special Envoy for Climate Change Xie Zhenhua, People’s Republic of China
- Parliamentary State Secretary at the Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety Rita Schwarzelühr-Sutter, Federal Republic of Germany
- Union Cabinet Minister of Labour and Employment, Environment, Forest and Climate Change Bhupender Yadav, India
- Special Presidential Envoy for Climate Change Ruslan Edelgeriyev, Russian Federation