July 5, 2019 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada
Expanding access to international markets allows Canadian businesses to create jobs for the middle class here in Canada. The Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC) helps Canadian exporters sell products and services abroad and helps foreign governments purchase Canadian solutions.
The Honourable Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, today announced the following appointments to the CCC’s board of directors:
- Mora Johnson, Barrister and Solicitor, Principal of Compass Consulting International Ltd. and Head of Secretariat, Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights
- Christa Wessel, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, ClearView Strategic Partners Inc.
- Michael Johnson, former deputy minister of Yukon Highways and Public Works, Government of Yukon
The board’s responsibility is to supervise the direction and management of the CCC and oversee its strategic development. The minister of international trade diversification appoints directors for terms of up to four years.
The appointments are made based on an open, transparent and merit-based selection process developed to attract high-quality candidates while reflecting gender parity and Canada’s diversity.
“The proven leadership of the new board directors will be a valuable asset for the CCC in continuing to strengthen its governance. These appointments underscore the government’s ongoing work to strengthen accountability, increase responsible business conduct, and diversify and grow Canadian exports.”
– Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification
“I’ve dedicated my career to critical issues like human rights-sensitive and responsible business practices, and I look forward to supporting CCC to continuously improve in these areas. I am honoured to be invited to serve on the board of the CCC, and I look forward to working with its directors and officers to contribute to its success.”
– Mora Johnson, barrister and solicitor, Principal of Compass Consulting International Ltd. and Head of Secretariat, Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights
“My experience in the C-suite of McCain Foods and Siemens Canada, and now ClearView Strategic Partners, has shown me that Canada and Canadian business have a lot to offer the world. I’m pleased to have the opportunity to contribute my global expertise and experience to the Canadian Commercial Corporation, helping Canadian businesses sell products, services and solutions abroad.”
– Christa Wessel, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, ClearView Strategic Partners Inc.
“The CCC plays an important part in helping Canadian businesses to thrive abroad. I’m excited to be involved in this new role and to contribute to their important work in creating opportunities for Canadians.”
– Michael Johnson, former deputy minister of Yukon Highways and Public Works, Government of Yukon
- Founded in 1946, the CCC is a Crown corporation that operates on commercial principles and reports to Parliament through the minister of international trade diversification.
- The CCC is Canada’s government-to-government contracting organization. It supports the growth of international trade by helping Canadian exporters sell goods and services to foreign governments.