June 11, 2018 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada
Canadian industry associations play a key role in fostering international business development for thousands of small and medium-sized enterprises, which are the backbone of Canada’s economy and the engine for job creation. These associations benefit from Global Affairs Canada’s Global Opportunities for Associations (GOA) program, which funds international business development initiatives.
The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of International Trade, today announced that the Government of Canada is providing $2.7 million to 35 industry associations to share the costs and risks of more than 140 separate international business development activities.
Through GOA, the Government of Canada encourages associations to look beyond Canada’s borders for new opportunities. As a pillar of Global Affairs Canada’s Global Markets Support Program, GOA provides contribution funding to support national associations undertaking new or expanded international business development activities.
GOA supports three types of international business development initiatives:
- direct contacts, such as trade shows, meetings, matchmaking, seminars, incoming visits and export training
- marketing tools, such as website development that targets foreign customers and other materials that promote trade opportunities
- research tools, such as market research studies, market intelligence reports and updates to multi-year international business development strategies for specific industries
“Associations play important roles for their members in pursuing global market opportunities and coordinating support. Funding key projects will help their membership access new contacts, secure new clients and gain market intelligence around the globe. We are committed to diversifying our markets and to giving more Canadian workers the competitive advantage they need to compete and win in those markets.”
– François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of International Trade
- GOA is supporting the Canadian Association of Public Schools – International to enable it to travel to events in Asia, Europe and Latin America to promote educational opportunities in Canada for foreign students.
- GOA is supporting the Information Technology Association of Canada to enable it to undertake a business mission to Ireland led by female entrepreneurs.
- GOA is supporting the Art Dealers Association of Canada to enable it to bring U.S. buyers to Canada to meet with stakeholders in the visual arts market and to showcase Canadian art galleries.
- GOA is supporting the Canadian Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association to enable it to attend the 22nd World Hydrogen Energy Conference, in Brazil, as well as events in Germany, Japan, South Korea and the United States.
- GOA is supporting the Canadian Dam Association to enable it to promote awareness of Canadian technical expertise at events in Austria, Brazil, India and sub-Saharan Africa.