LOS ANGELES (February 10, 2016) – The Northern Trust Open once again teams up withBirdies for the Brave to host a variety of military outreach and appreciation activities throughout the week, highlighted by the opportunity for active duty and Reserve military members, military retirees and their dependents to receive complimentary grounds admission from Wednesday through Sunday. In addition, non-retired veterans can enjoy two complimentary grounds admission tickets each day.
Details on how to obtain military tickets, and a complete list of military outreach activities, are listed below:
Tuesday, Feb. 16, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- The Northern Trust Open will host its fourth annual Operation Shower/Birdies for the Brave group baby shower for 40 military moms-to-be whose spouses are deployed.
- The event will take place in the Grand Ballroom at The Riviera Country Club.
- Operation Shower is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to celebrating and honoring military families by providing joyful baby showers for military moms-to-be.
- Operation Shower is one of 11 military homefront charities that are supported by Birdies for the Brave.
Complimentary Military Ticketing Program
Wednesday, Feb. 17 – Sunday, Feb. 21
- As part of its support for the Birdies for the Brave military outreach initiative, complimentary grounds admission tickets to the Northern Trust Open will be provided throughout the week to all active duty and Reserve military members, military retirees, non-retired veterans and their dependents from Wednesday through Sunday of tournament week.
- For complimentary access, military guests must show a Department of Defense-issued ID at the gate, along with a military ticket voucher that can be downloaded at https://birdiesforthebrave2.sheerid.com/Northern-Trust-Open2016/.
Birdies for the Brave Caddie Program
Wednesday, Feb. 17
- Military members will each have the unique opportunity to caddie for one of the 144 PGA TOUR players competing in the 2016 Northern Trust Open Pro-Am on the 14th hole at The Riviera Country Club, through sponsorship by United Rentals.
- PGA TOUR players will be randomly assigned to participating military members, who will caddie during the morning and afternoon Pro-Am competitions at 6:40 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Birdies for the Brave Patriots’ Outpost Presented by United Rentals
Thursday, Feb. 18 – Sunday, Feb. 21
- From Thursday through Sunday, the Birdies for the Brave Patriots’ Outpost Presented by United Rentals military hospitality chalet will offer complimentary food and beverages and a relaxing venue for viewing all of the tournament action for all active duty and Reserve military members, military retirees, veterans and their dependents.
- The Outpost is located on the 14th tee at The Riviera Country Club.
- Thousands of military members and their families are expected to visit the chalet throughout the week thanks to the generosity of United Rentals.
Military Appreciation Day
Saturday, Feb. 20
- Saturday has been designated as Military Appreciation Day at the Northern Trust Open.
- The American flag will be placed on the 14th green, which will be tended by uniformed military members on Saturday and Sunday.
- Immediately following play, a military appreciation ceremony will take place on the Green Room Stage near the driving range featuring military pageantry, the singing of the national anthem, and guest speakers. The ceremony will precede a concert by The English Beat.
For tickets or more information, visit www.northerntrustopen.com. Follow the Northern Trust Open on Facebook (facebook.com/NorthernTrustOpen), Twitter (@ntrustopen) and Instagram (@ntopen) to stay on top of all the news and updates; and join the conversation by using #ntopen2016 and #MoreThanGolf.
About the Northern Trust Open
What started as the Los Angeles Open in 1926 at Los Angeles Country Club, the Northern Trust Open is now one of the longest-running tournaments on the PGA TOUR, being played for the 90th time this year. It was staged at various courses throughout the Los Angeles area before permanently settling at Riviera Country Club in 1973. Outside of the major championships, the Northern Trust Open is the fourth-oldest event on TOUR, trailing only the BMW Championship, the RBC Canadian Open and the Valero Texas Open.
City of Hope was named the official charity of the Northern Trust Open beginning with the 2013 event. In 2015, the Northern Trust Open generated over $2 million to benefit City of Hope, the event’s official charity partner, and other non-profit organizations in the Los Angeles area. The total generated for Los Angeles charities since the event’s inception in 1926 is now more than $60 million.
Fans are reminded that each year, youths 18 and younger are admitted free of charge to the Northern Trust Open when accompanied by a ticketed adult. There is no limit to the number of youths 18 and younger who can attend with a ticketed adult. Also, as part of its support for the Birdies for the Brave military outreach initiative, complimentary grounds admission tickets for active duty, Reserve, military retirees, non-retired veterans and dependents to the Northern Trust Open are available from Wednesday through Sunday of tournament week.
About Northern Trust
Northern Trust Corporation (Nasdaq: NTRS) is a leading provider of wealth management, asset servicing, asset management and banking to corporations, institutions, affluent families and individuals. As of December 31, 2015, Northern Trust had assets under custody of US$6.1 trillion, and assets under management of US$885 billion. For more than 125 years, Northern Trust has earned distinction as an industry leader for exceptional service, financial expertise, integrity and innovation. Visit northerntrust.com or follow us on Twitter @NorthernTrust.
Northern Trust Corporation, Head Office: 50 South La Salle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60603 U.S.A., incorporated with limited liability in the U.S. Global legal and regulatory information can be found at http://www.northerntrust.com/disclosures.
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent research and treatment center for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases. Designated as a comprehensive cancer center, the highest recognition bestowed by the National Cancer Institute, City of Hope is also a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, with research and treatment protocols that advance care throughout the nation. City of Hope’s main hospital is located in Duarte, California, just northeast of Los Angeles, with clinics throughout the region. It is ranked as one of “America’s Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a pioneer in the fields of bone marrow transplantation and genetics.
About Birdies for the Brave®
Birdies for the Brave is a national military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR designed to show support and appreciation to the courageous men and women of our U.S. Armed Forces and their families. Birdies for the Brave was originally created in 2006 by PGA TOUR player Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy, to support combat-injured troops. The PGA TOUR subsequently adopted Birdies for the Brave and expanded the program to include a variety of military outreach efforts in support of wounded veterans and military families. For more information, visit www.birdiesforthebrave.org.